POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media emission as true light source? : Media emission as true light source? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 22:11:54 EDT (-0400)
  Media emission as true light source?
From: Neil Conway
Date: 4 Feb 2003 07:20:03
Message: <web.3e3faf53e0395af21c4fca030@news.povray.org>
Hi... I'm quite new to POV-Ray but I don't believe this is a FAQ (I have
looked).

I work on a tokamak (nuclear fusion research), and we have a large vacuum
tank (mostly made of steel) inside which we make a toroidal plasma.  This
plasma emits light, some of which can be directly viewed by cameras (and a
hundred other diagnostics!).

I'm hoping POV-Ray can help me to model how much of the plasma light is
reflected around inside the tank and back into the cameras.  We can treat
surfaces with various materials to make them dull or blackish, but it's
undesirable to do too much of this for plasma purity reasons...

Anyway: here's the question (at last!).  The media-emission process looks
ideal except for the fact that the docs say it doesn't actually light up
objects in the view, but rather just emits light which is viewable by the
camera.  So, is it possible to patch povray to make it treat the emission
from the media as a "real" light source?  Would this patch be a major job?

Thanks in advance...
Neil Conway
UKAEA Fusion